Monday, September 01, 2008

Critical lines

Larry and I stayed up super late watching the final episode of The Wire, Season 5. I felt guilty. Larry’s always talking about getting to sleep at a good time. And since he’s identified it as a problem he has, getting to sleep at a good time, then what I do is think that my new job as his most ideal and supportive spouse is to suddenly, automatically and devotedly, instantaneously be good at helping him with his problem and never have the same one myself.

McNulty went crazy in season 5. A homicide detective for the Baltimore police department, McNulty staged dead bodies he’d found, during the course of his work day to make it look like there was a serial killer was on the loose so that he could siphon monies allotted to the new fake serial killer investigation to an older actual drug and murder investigation for which funds had been cut.

Talking about it this morning, Larry still felt higher ups in the department should have showed more sympathy to McNulty’s situation. I didn’t really think so. I thought McNulty had crossed a critical line. Although if Larry had been all hard about it and said McNulty deserved everything he got, I probably would have been arguing for more leniency too.

Larry says some friends are just too much work. I know this could be me making Larry sound bad but, isn’t it true? Why work so super hard at maintaining friendships in which the supposed friend doesn’t really get or value you the way you need a friend to? What is the point of that? Isn’t that just politics, really? Which there’s nothing wrong with. Which has its value too. But shouldn’t you know the difference?

I’ve had this sample of perfume on my desk sitting under my monitor for a long time. For months. I just put some on. It is so stinky. I think I’m going to wash it off or at least try to wash it off. I hope it washes off. If it doesn’t wash off, I hope it partly washes off. It’s very strong. It smells like baby powder and burnt tire rubber with a touch of skunk thrown in.

I’m doing laundry for Jacob’s first day back to school tomorrow. There’s some kind of leak going on in the laundry room. The floor near the washing machine is wet. There’s beads of water coming up between the seams of the tiles of the recently replaced laundry room floor. It’s not a lot of water. It could be nothing. Jacob was messing around in the laundry tubs yesterday. Maybe it has to do with something he did then. I wish we still had the old wrecked floor down there. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about figuring out the solution to the leaking water issue so much.

Jacob is at a friend’s house. It’s really gorgeous out. I changed the calendars. It’s September.

2 comments:

Larry Eisenstein said...

You better wash that stinky shit off and put some of the nice smell I bought you.

McNulty got shafted and so did Lester. You are heartless and stinky.

Larry Eisenstein said...

Addendum: Jacob left the hose on for days. Now the floor in the laundry room which had fistules slushing water up every time you stepped on a tile, is on the road to recovery. Thanks go out to Paula Eisenstein of Downsview Ontario for suggesting
hose.