Friday, November 07, 2008

Waiting for the art walk

Jacob didn’t finish his French homework so I let him stay home and finish it and took him in late to school. I wanted to get him to school on time because I always take him late on Friday. Because I don’t go into my day job on Fridays. Oh well. I let Jacob pick up a coffee for his teacher. His teacher likes it when the kids bring him coffee. But Jacob got him a latte. “A latte!” I exclaimed.

Larry and I are going on an art walk. It’s really nice out. There won’t be another nice day like this for another half a year probably. I’m waiting for him. I’m writing this on my computer waiting for him. What is taking Larry so long I wonder.

I went to my “the challenge of anger” class for women at the BJCC last night. I liked it. I had a headache that had been coming on all day. When I got home Larry asked me questions of what it was like. It seemed like I wasn’t telling him as much as he wanted to hear. We watched a show on TV. I got in the bath and went to bed with my headache. Now it’s gone. But my back really hurts. There’s two variables that may be why my back is hurting. Doing yoga again in the mornings - maybe I pulled something. I have a new desk cubicle at work - maybe I’m sitting different.

Larry told me he didn’t get to bed until two. Then when I get home from dropping Jake at school he thinks I’m being standoffish when I’m stretching my sore back when he’s coming over for a hug and I tell him his assessment is incorrect and he says nothing.

I picked up some pamphlets at my “challenge of anger” class. This one was showing how when you don’t express your feelings, often, it comes out as anger later.

This one woman in the class said she understands, theoretically in her head, that’s she’s angry. But she can’t feel it. This other woman said she hasn’t felt angry for a long time but now she does and she didn’t expect it and the way she acts when she’s angry reminds her of when she was a teenager. She doesn’t know what she’s doing.

The class leader said because women learn to keep their anger in check, they’re not good at it. She said it’s like learning to drive a car, you need to practice. But when she said “it’s like learning to drive a car,” the woman who couldn’t feel her anger said, oh yeah, I remember that, and described how she was berated for being stupid and every other thing all the way through learning to drive a car by her ex-husband.

I laughed and reached over and touched her lightly on her arm.

5 comments:

Larry Eisenstein said...

Angermobiles. Cars fueled by anger would be good. The more road rage the better. And in fact they drive better the more emotional you get. Until they are shiny blasting piques.

Larry Eisenstein said...

That was too many words right? I should have stopped at the first'.'

Paula Eisenstein said...

Hey! You have a picture! It's nice.

In my opinion the trick to not being overly wordy is short sentences. If you. Keep them. Short. Noone. Can accuse. You. Of verbosity.

Of course, the principle can't apply in all situations. It's a defensive strategy. For defensive purposes.

I love your comment. Love, love, love it. I think you may have solved the problem of inter-dimensional space travel. And without being wordy to boot.

Anonymous said...

there are people who are unable to express their anger? they need practice? am i reading this correctly? i should run such a class...

Paula Eisenstein said...

Well, not everyone is like you Orangefrute. Not everyone hangs out with such exemplary emotion-expressing mentor types as Godzilla and the naked cowboy!