Saturday, April 11, 2009

This Seder

For our Seder, in the kitchen between the main course and desert, after using the bathroom, Jenny, my mother in law complimented me on how clean the toilet bowl was. How did you get it that clean? She wanted to know, her voice in awe.

Really, I was thinking of an answer to her question. I was formulating it. The answer. But getting stuck. What I’d done to get it that clean really wasn’t that incredible. Realizing this made me think Jenny must also know that what I had done to get the toilet bowl the way it was really wasn’t that incredible.

While Jenny was in the bathroom she also cleaned the mirror I noticed after the fact, later in the evening after she’d left. Because I had Larry buy some Windex so I could clean it then I couldn’t figure out how to get it spraying then I went on to do some other house preparations for the Seder and forgot about it.

Then it was clean and I asked and Larry didn’t do it. No one else would have done it. No one else would be so presumptuous. Only the word presumptuous doesn’t come close to what Jenny does. Conversely the word bristling perfectly describes my response to how she acts. Other times, in the past, while visiting and using the bathroom she’s also cleaned the sink, the tap nozzles and the counter surrounding the sink.

1 comment:

BusyMamma said...

what is it with Mothers-In-Laws?? they are just meant to make us feel bad about ourselves and our lack of ability to clean the way they would. It is really frustrating.
I am just happy mine never ever just drops by without warning. I'd have a fit if that ever happened.