Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's

I bought champagne for New Year’s Eve. I’m not really the champagne type. My friend Berna was. Mostly I wasn’t getting why she liked champagne so much. I didn’t feel bad about it not being for me either.

Naturally I have a theory.

Jacob loved his. He was giggling. He said, I’m drunk, it’s the first time I’ve ever been drunk. Larry timed it to pop the champagne cork right at midnight but he was late by about five seconds. We had Kim Mitchell in Niagara Falls in the background on TV. He said his fingers were so cold he couldn’t move them. Then we saw him putting them in front of a large stand up heater onstage. We switched through all the channels. There were other people in the glasses with the 2 and 9 of 2009 for the Year of the New Year we’re going into on the outside of the glasses frames and the two 0’s on the inside as the frames of the glasses in Times Square in New York City. Jersey Boys doing fifties and eighties stuff at Nathan Phillips Square. George Stroumboulopoulos on CBC for thirty seconds. Pussy Cat dolls we didn’t realize who they were; Larry just thought they were bad singers while I debated that their great bodies and sexy get-ups might compensate for their weak vocals. We told Jacob to brush his teeth and get ready for bed and he said he was going to walk around the long way because there wasn’t much space between the coffee table and the TV and he didn’t trust himself in his inebriated state.

Then Larry and I did some pretty fancy New Year’s kissing on the couch.

1 comment:

Larry Eisenstein said...

I think you don't usually have champagne becuase it would mess with your reputation as a cheap drunk. It's a good sign that you've entered the ritzy category when it comes to your tastes in how you want to be overwhelmed by bubbles. you're kisses were very bouyant and exhilirating.