Saturday, October 25, 2008

Automatic reboot

Larry made us some Smoothies for breakfast. Now I’m cold. Smoothies don’t suit this time of year. That is what I have to say about Smoothies. Brrrr.

I finally started working on some revision work for my novel. It’s been hard to get at because I just can’t seem to convince myself that the revisions I have in mind could possibly be enough. I just can’t seem to let go of the idea that what everyone in the world wants from me including, naturally, the interested editor at Coach House, is ruinous killing compromises of the soul. I think that surely it can’t be until I’m feeling that way that the revisions I’m doing could be enough.

Anyway I got through it enough, started working on it, was feeling good, but.

But my computer sometimes likes to reboot itself in the middle of the night. And I didn’t save it. Sometimes it can go for weeks and not reboot. Sometimes it likes to do it a couple of days in a row. I didn’t save it because I hadn’t quite decided what to save it under, what kind of file it should go in. I was enjoying waiting on that decision coming to me. I also didn’t realize that it would be lost if my computer decided to reboot itself in the middle of the night.

My old computer would never do that. Sure it might crash on occasion. My new computer acts like an inconsiderate bully sometimes. It’s so imperious. It’s very rude. It thinks it knows everything.

When I found out my work was gone and had looked everywhere on the computer I thought it could be I asked Larry if he could help me find it. He explained to me It was too late and he couldn’t help me. I should have saved it.

I’m sure it’s going to be okay. It’s not like I wrote that much. It just would have been nicer if it didn’t happen. I would feel a lot better now about it if it didn’t happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no! oh no oh no oh no :(

however. what's done is done. lesson learned. and maybe, just maybe? your next round will be better.

trust yourself. x

Paula Eisenstein said...

Thanks so much. You are very very kind. I like it!