Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Includes incomprehensible astrological terminology

Larry stayed up late talking to Eli. Then he got up with me to go into work with me so he could have the car so he could take Eli to his therapy. He was doing a lot for Eli and for me too.

Larry asked me to drive because he was tired. Then he didn’t like the way I was driving. I was mad at him. I was in a bad mood when I got into work because he was angry at me too. I was also feeling groggy and spaced out. Usually I eat some breakfast at my desk but I forgot to. Then I remembered and ate some. Eventually I told some of my female co-workers about Larry criticizing my driving and they all said their husbands did the same thing. One of them waved her hand in the air, like in dismissal of the whole male act of criticizing female driving.

I felt a little better.

Since Jacob’s away I wanted to meet Larry downtown for a coffee before his etching class. But Larry said he wanted to take a nap before he went out. I called him back a little while later. He wasn’t napping. He talked to me in a growly mad bear voice but I was able to convince him to come down and meet me. I told him it would be nice and I would smile.

There’s a new moon in Scorpio tonight. It’s right on my draconic Venus. And close to Larry’s natal Mars-Saturn conjunction. I was trying to get Larry to enact some astro-drama with me on this point. We were walking down the long wooden-floor hallway of the art building where he takes his etching class. He’s not as good at me at thinking astrologically and has to remind me to not be so inconsiderate and talk so fast. Plus the proximity to his imminent class was making it even more difficult for him to entertain my extreme astrology. He engaged enough to tell me I was crazy which actually fits the symbolism so I complimented him for it.

I walked along Queen Street to get to the University subway line to go home. There were a lot of shoe stores along the way. I was looking in their windows at the winter boot styles. Fall Out Boy was playing outside at City TV. I stopped and listened for a couple of songs. The performance was for the TV audience. They played a song then left the stage for five minutes or so and then came back to play another song. How they related to us - the background audience of their TV performance - reminded me of being a kid and performing to a mirror that I could be completely fake to but that still saw only the amazingest parts of me.

Then I was thinking of Marshall McLuhan and of how his first and last name begin with the same letter, the letter “m,” and of how even though “m” starts the very fitting - for him - words, “media” and “message” and “meaning” and “matter,” you would still think someone like him would have had a name starting with cooler and more cerebral letters like “s” or “e” or possibly “t.”

5 comments:

Larry Eisenstein said...

Female driving? Is there a female driving style? I don't think of it that much. I just call women who drive bad 'bitches' and guys who do the same 'asshole' or cocksucker'.

I just hate crazy, panicked, adrenalized, irresponsible driving. There's no good rationale for pointlessly risking our lives to shave a few minutes off an work arrival time. What about all we've been building, the life we've created and our responsibilities to our son?

Come on. Gender has nothing to do with it. In fact that kind of hormone fueled madness is so male it's unbelievable. It's documented. Guys are stupider when it comes driving manners because of our testosterone addled brain soup.

Ah that New Moon in Scorpio. I want to sting.

Larry Eisenstein said...

Maybe your gals just hate the idea of being associated with aggressive and reckless male type behavior. Your klatsch is so in denial!

Larry Eisenstein said...

Yes I was mad and I probably wouldn't have gone to my etching class if you hadn't of seduced me downtown for coffee. I wanted to just be depressed and sulk.

Larry Eisenstein said...

AstroNazi!

Paula Eisenstein said...

I like driving in the fast lane. I also like leaving lots of room between me and the car in front of me. Slow drivers in the fast lane are bad.

When I'm in a car and a tailgater's driving I spend all my time with my foot on the brake. Even though I don't have one. I cover my eyes but with my fingers spread a bit like watching a scary movie. I don't like scary movies. Sometimes they're okay.