Monday, October 06, 2008

Sunday Starbucks

Jacob has a mole over top of his top lip. It’s on the right side. It’s a beauty mark is what I tell him. He’s always had it. He’s worried that it’s going to grow too big.

The last few weekends Larry and I go for a walk over to Starbucks, Jacob stays home and does some homework, we drink our Venti Soya Carmel or Pumpkin Spice Lattes, Larry draws people in the Starbucks, I read Larry interesting stories from the New York Times Magazine over the jazz music that Larry can’t hear entirely or can’t focus on completely, perhaps because he’s concentrating on drawing, then Jacob calls and says he’s done his homework and one of us convinces him to do some more and then he calls again and we get him to read to us some of what he’s done and then we let him ride his bike over to Starbucks and join us.

Jacob gets a cold hot chocolate or a regular one or asks for this other chocolate drink that is so sugary and decadent we usually say no. He gets a pastry. We get him to buy us another Venti Soy Latte of another flavour to share between us but this one decaffeinated.

Today Larry and I got the purple cushy chairs. They’re the only soft chairs at our Starbucks. Jacob’s mostly too old to sit on my lap or anything like that anymore. But today he asked to squeeze in beside my on my purple cushy chair. Funny, when he asked I realized I was wishing it too. We jostled a bit before we figured out a way to get him in. I put my right arm around his shoulders and neck and patted it on his chest.

1 comment:

Larry Eisenstein said...

He's got whipped cream and chocolate marblized subcutaneous fat all over his tummy now. And his barrel chest is looking too boobed. I hope he can get rid of it before he hits puberty. I read that those fat cells on you at puberty stay with you for life. I really can't figure it out! He doesn't eat that much and runs around a fair bit. He must have the most fuel efficient metabolism on the planet. He actually doesn't need food, it's all the love we give him that's making him pudge. Damn he's adorable!!!