Thursday, October 26, 2006

Another dentist visit!

It was Jacob’s turn at our new dentist today. We love our new dentist. He gives this enthusiastic lecture about all you need to do is brush your teeth really well two times a day and do it properly and you shouldn’t even be getting any cavities. Every time he does it, it’s so sincere and fresh. I know because I watched him give it to Jacob plus I got my own last week too. Our dentist’s face is so happy. It’s like a clown face.

He’s so much better than our old dentist. Our dentist is a great man. That’s what you think. It’s so nice to think that about someone. It makes you want to go back and see him for your next appointment in six months. It makes you want to brush your teeth.

Jacob agreed.

But first he was experiencing dental tragedy. Jacob has this kind of a big square-faced head. It’s one of the things that makes him look like me. It’s our family resemblance. Because he’s only ten, lately, his big square head has been looking too big for his body. I think it has to do with how kids grow sometimes, how different parts of their bodies develop at different speeds. Or maybe it’s his hair. I think actually it’s just the way his hair has been growing that is making his head look bigger and exaggerating its squareness.

Jacob’s big square-head face, which is my big square-head face, is graying over as the dental tragedy befalls him. He can’t abide the taste of the toothpaste they use - it doesn’t matter what kind it is - and yes, bad-flavored toothpaste at dentists’ includes cherry bubblegum.

“That’s it?” The dentist wants to know. He moves quickly past incredulity to sympathy keeping pace with the tenor of Jacob’s traumatic situation. Did I say how great our new dentist is? “That’s all you’re so worried about?” And then the square-head face gagging repeatedly, the tears sliding down its boxy sides, the many needed pauses. I smile inadequately at the dentist’s assistant. I smile past her at my beautiful square-head faced boy.

No comments: