Friday, October 20, 2006

The hand that pulls your tooth out

I was kept waiting a while for my new dentist, Dr Klein. Well, first I kept him waiting. He’s actually an orthopedic surgeon. I arrived late. Then my gut was killing me so bad. I had already gone to the bathroom but it still really hurt. I was feeling like things were beginning to go black around me.

So I told the receptionist I needed to go to the bathroom again and phoned up Larry. But I couldn’t talk. Because that’s how I get when my emotions get too big, too big to fit through my voice apparatus. Larry knows me enough, he was waiting. I said I was too scared to do it without him. He’s already had it done before so he told me in his voice, in the voice of Larry, it was going to be okay. I was going to be able to do it.

I was surprised. I thought someone feeling as bad and scared as I was couldn’t possibly continue on alone. But I took his word for it.

My face wasn’t as tear-faced when I went back in the office as it had been when I was telling Larry I couldn’t do it. What I’d planned to do was just walk up to the reception people and tell them I couldn’t do it. I'd come back later. What else I’d planned was just leave and phone them when I got outside of the building at some point and tell them then I couldn’t do it. It went back and forth which one I would do depending on how bad I was feeling.

The receptionist told me they had called for me when I was out. I decided not to feel like a terrible person for not being available right away and inconveniencing them when they called me. Even though I’d already showed myself to be that way by coming late to the appointment in the first place. Just a few minutes. Or ten.

Then they put me in one of the dentist’s work stations and I waited there for a while. A boring view of a mall on a rainy day through slats of blinds. Larry called. He said if I didn’t like the dentist I didn’t have to stay. I could just go. We could make other arrangements. We could call friends and find out somewhere else to go.

Dr. Klein’s style was majestic and magician-like. One of his main people tools was dramatic redirects. So I wasn’t sure how I was liking him especially based on what Larry said, that I could have a choice, because Dr. Klein was all about making you feel like you were so in his distracting hands you’d already made it, you didn’t want to change your mind from where you already were. You liked it in his hands.

I liked that he said his first and last name when he introduced himself to me. Now that I’m a grown up, I always find it very weird calling people by their last names. I can’t get used to it. I’m a grown up now too, right?

He told me it was going to be really easy, take only five minutes. He told me he might break the tooth apart in three sections. He’d see as he went. It wasn’t going to hurt.

I mentioned to him I was very scared. How I had been thinking about maybe just going back home.

I liked when he was freezing me he told me the one in the roof of my mouth was going to hurt. Actually the one he did before hurt too, in the corner of the jaw. My regular dentist was much more gentle with the needle. I thought it’s probably better that someone pulling out your teeth has a firmer touch. You don’t want someone tentative, overly concerned about your every momentary feeling, in a tooth-pulling situation.

He told me the freezing would take place quicker than I could tell a joke. Then joked when I didn’t have one.

I told him I was still really scared.

He explained to me about hearing strange sounds and feeling lots of pressure during the procedure. He pushed his hips up against my body as he started his maneuvering. Usually when people do that I kind of shrink away inside myself. It’s kind of inappropriate isn’t it? In this instance with his hands rooting away in my terrified mouth I didn’t feel like that at all. I just wanted to savor the feeling of his body’s press against mine.

He said I did good when we were done. His eyes looked in to mine really warmly. He shook my hand. That’s my new thing; loving shaking hands, so I was glad he did that. It makes me feel secure when I meet someone new to feel them through their hand. But I didn’t have my other new, “check out the vibe of his handshake” editor on. I was too tired. His hand looked big and fleshy and self-conscious. It had just pulled out my tooth.

No comments: