Friday, October 20, 2006

Love flock 2

I didn’t get my tooth pulled out. My new dentist Dr. Gwartzman wanted to take an x-ray just in case, just in case there might be a problem, a problem like having unusually extra long roots on your wisdom tooth going up to and running past the sinuses. See those fluffy spots? Those are the sinuses.

Dr. Gwartzman filled a cavity in my other tooth that I was going to be coming back for next week, for something to do with me instead in the time that was booked, the perfect time to daydream. I’m very talented at drifting away. When your mouth is wide open and getting operated on you’re really not under any regular kind of social pressure to engage in relevant conversation. There’s plenty of thoughts I have I can drift into.

But Dr. Gwartzman has this little quick way about him that brings you back to him, like his arm’s incisive gesture is asking you to stay there with him in the room. That’s when I realize Dr. Gwartzman is kind of something of an artist, how easy conversation is with him even though he can be a little insistent and detailed but it’s for safety reasons, he is a dentist. It’s easy because there’s this clean kind of world-view he’s got too, a philosophy. Something about Dr. Gwartzman tells me I could love him if I needed to. Maybe I already do.

My dentist’s face is small featured making him look child-like. He walks lightly on his feet. With his hair there’s a problem. It’s very thin but not balding. Isn’t that strange for a man? It’s more like the way a woman’s hair thins. And it’s suspiciously dark. His skin is very pale, like a mortician’s.

When he tells you what’s the matter with your teeth he keeps you lying down with your head craning back and up to look at him, like a session with a Freudian psychiatrist, but having the pressure to look.

I think he’s the kind of dentist who inspires love. His assistants and hygienists are great. They’ve all been with him for a long time and treat you really nice. It’s like they love him. I think they love him too. I think what’s happening is that I’m being captured into my dentist’s love flock.

What I don’t understand is even if my tooth’s roots are too long, why does he have to send me away to an oral surgeon for my extraction?

No comments: